When your air conditioner stops working, you need professional repairs, and you need them fast. Especially during Texas’s hot summer months, a broken AC could be more than just an inconvenience—it could be a safety issue for yourself and your family.
At Medley, we offer top-quality AC repairs in Carrollton, TX and all of the surrounding areas. Our expert repair technicians are well-versed in all types of AC systems, including central air conditioners, ductless mini-splits, window units, and more. Whether your problem is big or small, we can help get your AC back up and running in no time.
If you don’t have any cold air blowing out of your vents or you’re uncomfortable at home no matter what you do, it’s pretty clear that you need to call a professional to help you with your air conditioner repair. However, your AC can have some less obvious problems that still require service.
Some signs that you may need professional air conditioner repairs include:
- Your AC runs all the time. If your air conditioning unit is running all the time, then it’s either not cooling effectively or a switch has broken somewhere. Either way, give us a call. It’s not good for your air conditioner to be on all the time because it experiences a lot more wear and tear than is strictly necessary. Our team can fix the issue so it turns off when it should, helping save you the expense of having to replace your AC system early.
- Your AC turns off and on rapidly. Ideally, your air conditioner should run long enough to cool your home, then turn off until the home heats up again. If it is going off and on quickly and regularly, there’s something wrong. Medley can come out to inspect your cooling system and carry out the necessary repairs before this extra wear and tear wears it out.
- Your AC starts out blowing cold air, but the air turns lukewarm. If your AC isn’t always blowing cold air, it will cool less effectively. It will then have to run more, which risks wearing out the motor quickly. Wave your hand in front of your AC vent every once in a while. If the air isn’t always the same temperature, call us to take a look.
- Your AC makes unusual sounds. You will definitely know when your air conditioner is on and when it is off, but you shouldn’t hear any banging or clunking when it runs. If you do, call Medley; we’ll come out and figure out what is out of balance so your unit can continue cooling your home effectively.
If you notice any signs that something may be wrong with your air conditioning system, reach out to our Carrollton AC repair experts at Medley for fast, high-quality AC service. We have the training, tools, and expertise to effectively resolve all types of AC problems.
At Medley, we recognize that most AC problems are emergencies. When you call us for air conditioner repair, we will get to you as soon as possible. Our HVAC technicians always arrive on time, so you won’t have to wait any longer than is absolutely necessary.
Once we’re there, we’ll talk to you about the problem and then inspect the unit for ourselves. We’ll come up with an AC repair plan and present that plan to you. Then we’ll get to work and get your air conditioner repaired just as soon as we possibly can.
We offer upfront, transparent pricing so you always know what to expect with our services. We also stand behind the quality of our work with our multiple service guarantees. Whether you are experiencing issues with a central AC system, a window unit, or a ductless mini-split, our team is ready to help.
We know that you need cool air to stay comfortable in Carrollton and the surrounding areas. That’s why we promise to repair your air conditioner fast, every time. Our technicians arrive on time with all the tools and equipment needed to tackle any repair job. We will take the time to explain the problem, walk you through your options, and provide our advice based on what we would do in our own homes.
AC Repairs vs. Replacement
Sometimes, it is in your best interests to replace your air conditioner rather than repair it. If we find that to be the case, we will always let you know. We don’t want you to waste your time and money, only to have to call us again in a few months. The final decision is always yours, but we will be honest with you about what we would do if it was our own air conditioner.
Some signs that you may want to replace your AC rather than repair it include:
- The cost of repairs exceeds (or will soon exceed) the cost of replacement
- Your AC system is near the end of its lifespan (usually about 10 years or older)
- Your AC system is not correctly sized or suited to your space
- You want to increase your energy savings and be more environmentally friendly
- You want to upgrade to a more modern system
Not every problem means it’s time to replace your air conditioner. At Medley, our technicians can inspect your system and determine whether we think repairs or replacement is the right option. You can trust our team to always provide honest, professional recommendations based on their findings; we will never try to upsell a product or service we don’t genuinely think you need.
Avoiding Common AC Repair Scams
There are a few AC companies out there that love preying on people’s busy schedules and limited time. You shouldn’t even have to worry about how your systems work. That’s what companies like us are here for. But there are a couple of common scams you should be aware of, because an informed homeowner is a protected one.
If someone has told you in the past that any one of these issues are true, you might want to get a second opinion:
- Your AC Needs Repeat Refrigerant Recharges - Refrigerant is filled into a closed system, which means the only way it’s running low is if there is a leak. In this case, the leak has to be fixed before a refill. If not, you’re just being sold a bandage fix over and over which amounts to a much higher cost.
- You are Using “Illegal” Refrigerant - While it’s true that R-22 refrigerant, or Freon, is illegal to manufacture or import due to environmental concerns, it is NOT illegal to purchase or use. The only reason you might want a new air conditioning unit is because Freon is now a limited resource, and replacing it is pricey. And if your unit is old and possibly not worth the repair fees, a replacement might be a good idea at this point.
- You Need the Biggest AC Unit - Bigger air conditioners do not equal greater comfort! This is only the case if your home is also larger. AC units should be fitted to your home, or else you are actually risking your comfort and premature breakdowns. Plus a new AC unit should only be recommended if a repair doesn’t make sense.
If you have any questions about these concerns or anything else a previous contractor may be claiming, we’d love to talk!
AC Repair FAQ
How long does an AC unit last?
While newer models can last anywhere from 15 to 20 years, on average, most air conditioning systems last about 10 years. With regular maintenance, your AC system will last much longer and work much better, leading to fewer issues and repairs.
How often should I replace my AC filters?
For maximum efficiency, we recommend that you replace your AC filters every 45 to 90 days. Various factors can affect the amount of time you should go between replacing filters; if you or anyone in your house has allergies, asthma, or respiratory illness, it’s a good idea to replace AC filters more often. The same is true if you use your air conditioner frequently, or if the filter is smaller.
How long does it take an AC to cool the house after being repaired?
After your air conditioner has been repaired, it will likely take a few hours to cool your house down. An average-sized three to four-bedroom house takes about three hours to cool down following AC repairs. However, if your home is larger than average, or if it’s exceptionally hot, it could take slightly longer to cool down. Our technicians can help you understand what to expect after AC repairs during your service. We are happy to answer any questions you may have!